How much do you know about your customers? Do you know what makes them happy? Mad? Restless? Let's face it, you should! Businesses often operate in ignorance of what their customers like or dislike, ignore and abhor. To ensure retention, pay attention!
The Basics: What Customers Love
- When you know them, remember them by name and remember their preferences.
- To be treated with respect
- To feel special
- To know you're accountable when problems arise
- The ability to reach a live voice or person when problems arise
- To receive lagniappe - a little something extra, for their money's worth
The Basics: What Customers Hate
- The runaround - and having to repeat one's predicament repeatedly
- Labyrinthine voice mail systems
- Ignorant salespeople
- Apathetic employees
- Being put on hold
- Being left on hold
- Being disconnected after holding
- Poor routing of their phone call to the incorrect person
- Repeatedly hearing how important their patronage is while on hold indefinitely
- Canned e-mail responses that are unresponsive or miss the particulars of the problem
- Sales reps with surly or superior attitudes who are condescending
- Lack of empathy
- Taking customers for granted
- Being nickel and dimed!
- Adhering to the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law